SIGs/sample invitation

Rhett Hudson/Chris Weaver rhett&chris at main.nc.us
Sun Apr 23 13:20:55 PDT 2000

First, thanks to Harrison for the call to reach out to special interest
groups to spread the word.  As an educator I'm thinking about teachers'
union magazines and such...

Second, I just drafted the invitation to my first Open Space.  Chris
Corrigan's invitation (written by the aboriginal youth council sponsor) was
so useful to me (I lifted a bunch of it) that I'm posting this draft in case
it proves useful to anyone else...or for feedback.

Cheers!  -Chris Weaver

Your Presence Is Requested At...

STRENGTHENING OUR SCHOOL TODAY,
SUSTAINING IT FOR THE YEARS TO COME
An Open Space Meeting
By THE LEARNING COMMUNITY
Friday, September 1 - Sunday, September 3 (sample dates)
Black Mountain, North Carolina

WHAT IS OPEN SPACE?
    Open Space is a remarkable meeting process which draws on some very old
principles:  passion, collaboration, responsibility, inclusivity, and
respect.  It provides a natural pattern that encourages action rather than
endless discussion.  It allows the creative gifts and leadership capacity in
a group to become manifest.  Open Space has been used in recent years to
foster self-organization in a great variety of innovative groups around the
world.

WHO IS COMING?
    The TLC board has invited the core community of students (5th grade and
older), families, and staff to participate, as well as many supporters from
the broader community and others who believe in the importance of thriving
educational alternatives in our region.  Open Space process is enormously
effective with groups of a dozen to several hundred people.

A REAL CHUNK OF TIME!
    The time allotted for this Open Space meeting is the perfect amount of
time for the process to run its course.  While it looks like "a long
meeting," it's not!  All participants will be engaged in what they care
about, self-directed, and mobile in Open Space.  We promise you an
energizing experience full of creative, effective collaboration and fun.

SCHEDULE

FRIDAY
5:00  Potluck Dinner and Games
7:00 - 9:00  Introductions and Storytelling

SATURDAY
9:00  Opening Circle and Agenda Creation
10:00  Focus Groups, session I
11:30  Lunch
12:30  Focus Groups, session II
2:00  Focus Groups, session III
3:30 - 4:30  Closing Circle

SUNDAY
9:00  Distribution of Reports and Coffee
10:00  Convergence and Action Planning
12:00  Finale
1:00  We're Done!

Childcare will be available for the entire event.

FACILITATOR
    Chris Weaver was one of three founding teachers at Pathfinder School, a
community K-8 public school in Seattle, where he worked for seven years.  He
is now an Open Space facilitator and a part-time writing teacher at Isaac
Dickson Elementary School in Asheville, North Carolina.