A Story from OZ

Birgitt Williams birgitt at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 13 19:48:21 PDT 2000

Hi Rich,
I am interested in understanding how "value" is measured. How "value" is
defined.

I am also curious about how you are defining Open Space Technology. Are you
measuring a one day event, a two day event?  It is my experience that value
over time increases when an event is at least two days and for sure, when
convergence and action planning is done. There is longer retention of
benefits when a report form is used that is a bit guided. Many of us use
this. In my travels, I have found that there are many many variations of
what people are calling Open Space Technology and I wonder how you have
handled this in your research.

And was Open Space Technology ever intended as a "single use" intervention
and should this be the basis of measurement?

As you know, I am a strong supporter of the Open Space Organization, (which
is not a MODEL or a prescription and every Open Space Organization is
different). There are some ingredients in common to be attended to. And the
use of Open Space is frequent within the organization as well as informing
the entire management style and corporate culture. When Open Space is used
frequently, there is no decline in value over time. Sometimes the whole
organization destructs but this is not a decline in value over time the way
I see it. De-structure is needed before Re-structure, Con-struction can
occur.

Even if an organization is not an Open Space Organization, and simply uses
Open Space Technology more than once --I think the findings would be that
value doesn't decline over time. For example an organization who does a big
Open Space Technology meeting and then from that meeting divides the results
into "do it", "clarify it" and "open space it". The latter results in
several shorter and smaller Open Space Technology meetings to get actionable
items moving forward hopefully then turning them into "do its" or "clarify
its" which of course in turn lead to more "open space its" and of course
this is an endless creative cycle and I'm not sure at what point the
research would get its snapshot :-)

I look forward to finding out more from you.

Kindest regards,
Birgitt

Birgitt Williams
Make Genuine Contact!
Dalar Associates: organizational
effectiveness consultants

Striving for Success? Ready to exceed
your expectations?

Contact us for consulting services, training,
conference and meeting facilitation,
and keynote speaking.

www.openspacetechnology.com <http://www.openspacetechnology.com>