OS in Arabia

Michelle Cooper coopgrp at interlynx.net
Wed Sep 22 17:57:13 PDT 1999

I have used 45 minute sessions in a 4 hour time slot with success, although I would not set any less time.   The themes of the meetings were quite specific  e.g.  what are the issues and opportunities for scheduling a 4 day work week.  If 45 minutes is not enough time, the principle "when it is over, it is over" comes into play.  Those people who needed more time and had the passion to continue the discussion did so.  Those that wished to gravitate to other sessions did so too.  It was just a matter of the group moving....but I think that the group that was meant to use the space occupied by the group extending the time actually convened in a different space.

I think it follows what Birgitt said earlier...if the key principles are followed in opening, holding and closing safe space, the group will take care of itself.  I have not always had the gift of the ideal time to use open space, but spirit does emerge and participants have expressed the same wonder and excitement as the longer versions.  Would the discussions be richer and deeper in longer sessions? Possibly (although, I find my own attention span for a topic starts to wane at about the 45 minute mark).  I agree with Harrison, if the group knows it has a shorter time to deal with an issue, they somehow rise to the occasion.

Looking forward to seeing  many of you in Chicago and having many rich discussions.
Michelle

Michelle Cooper, RN, MScN
The Cooper Group Consultants
200 Crestview  Avenue