Switching services

Artur F. Silva artsilva at mail.eunet.pt
Tue Sep 14 16:34:06 PDT 1999

Murli (and all):

I completely agree with your suggestion to switch to egroups. First, I would
like to say that an "e-mail distribution list" is an e-mail distributing
list! To change
for a system that can only be consulted on-line (even if its answer times
were good,
which is NOT the case) is a different, more expensive and less accessible way.
So I wouldn't favour "more chances" if they are worse choices...

But, egroups as a supplementary advantage you have not mentioned, that is
related
with what I feel as a major problem of the current listserv: if you send a
message
to (say) a OSLIST group at egroups, with the subject. "xxx"; all the
subscribers
will receive a message with the "Subject: [OSLIST] xxx". This allows to
immediately
identify all OSlist messages (quite convenient for people on different
lists). Can this
be done with the current listserv? If not, I suggest we change. (the old
address
can be used as a backup for some time).

Regards

Artur

PS: And no, the little advertisment messages are not intrusive; and we can
be free of them for a small fee.