OS in Arabia

h.nauheimer h.nauheimer at berlin.snafu.de
Tue Sep 21 00:40:21 PDT 1999

I wanted to share a few experiences (I'll be writing more detailed articles
for the network, so this is just the preliminary information)

I did an OS in Jordania, with public servants (mixed with a few German
advisers).

1. OS works in the Arabic culture and empowers people to work on their
passion.

2. As an OS facilitator, take care during the marketplace that the whole
thing is not monopolized by individuals. I had to intervene, else all focus
groups of the first round would have been merged.

3. The time between calling participants to step into the circle and the
begin of the first focus groups is crucial and should be as short as
possible to avoid lenghty discussions. Better risk to run into first
sessions time (what I did  in an other OS I had in Germany. Obviously this
time period depends on the number of participants (I had another OS, were
the time was much too short, and I had to re-write the post-its with the
time of the sessions). Any other experiences, rule-of-the-thumb, how to
approach this?

4. Against all warnings, I did the OS at the 3rd day of a 5-days-workshop
on Learning Organizations. It worked well, and we got a lot of material to
work on during the last two days of the workshop.

I would like to be with you in Chicago - hope to join you next year.

Love, Holger

Dr. Holger Nauheimer
Training - Coaching - Consulting
Freisinger Str. 10A