Knowledge Management

Larry Peterson lpasoc at inforamp.net
Thu Sep 30 13:14:53 PDT 1999

I don't think Open Space is appropriate for Knowledge "Management". I don't
think you can manage the kind of knowledge or learning that emerges in Open
Space. However, it is marvelous for creating "communities of practice" (see
Etien Wenger's work) such as those created at Xerox and elsewhere. Knowledge
is shared and new learning discovered in these communities. I developed such
"communities" for 17 years while working with the issue of homelessness in
Canada. I am working on a team with a client who has used one Open Space to
reduce misundertanding between key actors in a project and is exploring
other ways to engage the knowledge that is both conscious and not yet
conscious in his organization.

Larry

Larry Peterson
Associates in Transformation