Self-organizing systems

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Wed Sep 1 18:27:57 PDT 1999

okay, i'm back... whoa!

should add, too, that i'm back from 10 days with his holiness the dalai lama...
so i do got Spirit!

been reading mostly quietly, savoring this whole unfolding, and still have much
more to read, but i did want to jump into the lobbying game...

for me, calling what is emerging the open space org seems destined to push
practitioners, in some cases devotees, of other processes away.  let me explain
my alternative...

last february fast company printed a cover story "how digital is your
company".  they said that every time you change the strategic question, you
have to rethink the four basics of business:  finance, talent, customers and
speed.  they said that THE strategic question once was 'what business are you
in?' then 'what's your business model?' and today, TA-DA... 'how digital is
your org?'  BUT they said that the best companies today were doing the digital
question fifteen years ago.

so i go back to my little harrison/ken wilber/angeles arrien-inspired model.  i
map the four basics pretty easily onto the four conditions for open space, the
fourfold way and wilbers four quadrants -- BUT what i really want to know is
what is the NEXT strategic question that the next round of best orgs are
working on NOW?

'how inviting is your org?' is what i come up with.  what i'm suggesting in my
own writings these days is that the successor to the 'learning organization' is
the 'inviting organization'  which operates in open space, but doesn't need the
name 'open space' any more.  what's more, the coolest thing to me is that while
we must DO things at work, but we want to BE inspirited there, too...
'inviting' is something we can do AND be, as people, managers, organizations,
whatever, anytime... and the result looks like open space everytime, with or
without the technology part.  i'm now describing my work as a practice in
invitation and have started to post some things about this in the forums at
global chicago.
<http://www.globalchicago.net/forums> (in the 'inviting orgs' forum)

so, one vote for 'the inviting organization'...and now back to my reading!

michael

--

Michael Herman
...inviting results in evolving organizations

Michael Herman Associates
300 West North Avenue #1105
Chicago IL 60610
312-280-7838 voice