Open Space Prep and Follow-up

Jay Vogt JayWV at aol.com
Thu Nov 18 10:59:04 PST 1999

In a message dated 11/15/99 6:44:08 PM, eewing at inforamp.net writes:

<< What kind of up front do you do to prepare groups and organizations to do
OS?
Or put another way, what preparation work do you do ahead of the OS to raise
the chances of success and implementation? >>

My clients often ask me for a brief letter on how to prepare for Open Space.
Below  is an example of what I would say, when asked.  This would be about
it.  - J

Get ready for a whole new way of doing business!

On Wednesday and Thursday, in Steamboat Springs, the CLIENT will gather in
Open Space to consider the retreat theme:

HOW DO WE USE OUR FOCUS AS A STRATEGIC THINKING ORGANIZATION TO ACTUALLY MEET
THE NEEDS OF COMMUNITIES WITH OUR PROGRAMS?

We all know there is more to do, more to be, and more to become.  We can take
ourselves, our regions, our Foundation, and our society to a whole new level.

What is Open Space?
Open Space is a means of meeting to share critical information in a
self-organizing fashion.  It is used to mobilize talent around business
issues in surprising and unpredictable ways.  Open Space is also used (and
was initially designed) to convene conferences in ways that maximize
interaction and participation.

The Foundation embraces it now as a simple yet powerful meeting process that
lets you quickly organize discussion groups about topics you care most deeply
about, with just those people who share your passions.  This is your chance
to convene a discussion group on a topic close to your heart!

What happens exactly?
We start the day in a circle.  A facilitator states the theme and some simple
guidelines.  Participants who wish to convene a discussion group step into
the circle and announce their topic.  They post it with a time and place.
Everyone chooses how to spend their time.  There is no other agenda.  We end
the day in a circle.

How do you get ready?
There is absolutely nothing you must do to prepare for open space.  Just come
with an open mind, and see what happens.  Your heart will tell you what to do
next.  You may be inspired to present an issue for discussion, or you may
not.  You may choose to go to session after session, or you may not.  Instead
you may find yourself settling into a comfortable spot, and letting people
come to you.  Or you may walk around the grounds.  You will find your own
perfect way to experience Open Space.

Of course, many people ruminate on the theme before hand, and prepare a topic
for presentation, and even materials.  If you are so inspired, go for it!
And then spread the word!  This is your chance to put your passion out in the
marketplace of ideas, and find out who else shares it.

See You in Steamboat!

Jay W. Vogt

Jay W. Vogt
Peoplesworth