Visual Proceedings

owen owen at tmn.com
Wed Nov 17 04:58:42 PST 1999

At 03:32 AM 11/17/99 -0800, you wrote:
>romy shovelton wrote:
>
>> At almost all events I do these days (including Open Space), I take with me
>> a graphic facilitator (trained with the folks at Grove - David Sibbert et
>> al)..... and we produce a large graphic record of the whole event.   You
>> probably know of the Grove work.
>>
>Romy:
>
>Do you have any examples of this type of graphic record that I could
>see - this really intrigues me - I've been trying to imagine how
>someone would "capture" the essence of an OS visibly but am having
>trouble.
>--
>Sharon
**************************************
David Sibbet and Grove are in San Francisco. I don't have a number, but
probably information does. David is an old friend, personally and of OST. He
was present at OT1 and OT3 -- (the first Open Space). OT3 was held in Monterey,
CA -- and just down the hall from us in the same conference center there
happened to be a Free Real Estate Seminar. Over the several days of our
gathering, several folks from the Real Estate crowd chose to join us for
vartious things, including the closing circle. Sometime later, David remarked
that he had finally figured out what Open Space really was -- A Free Real
Estate Seminar. I guess that is about as good a definition as any.

I have done several Open Spaces with some of David's proteges in attendance.
The do some marvelous quick sketches of what they saw/heard. It's fun and a
good show. But I have always been a little worried that the net impact was sort
of under the heading of "done to" as opposed to "done with." Everything else in
Open Space is done by the participants themselves, which is what
self-organization is all about. Having a "professional" doing for the group
what the group might well do for itself has always bothered me. On the other
hand putting up some large pieces of butcher paper with a supply of magic
markers, and opening space for the graphic talents of the group seem to work
pretty well. Some people call this a graffetti wall. It may not be as gorgeous
as what David et all produce, but it is totally homegrown, which I take to be
an advantage.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive