Self-organizing, et al.

Scott Stillinger Stillinger at aol.com
Thu Mar 4 18:53:23 PST 1999

Doc,

Thanks for the explanation. It was useful for me. And the very best was the
quote at the end:

<< "If you pay attention at every moment, you form a new relationship to time.
In some magical way, by slowing down, you become more efficient, productive,
and energetic, focusing without distraction directly on the task in front of
you.  Not only do you become immersed in the moment, you become that moment."
-Michael Ray >>

I don't know Michael Ray, but I think he's right on.

>From a Zen perspective (and I confess to be a practitioner), if you become One
(immersed) with the moment, subject and object disappear (become one). So
you're no longer using your cognition, you are immersed in your "before
thinking mind", your original nature (the nature of the entire universe). You
and the flower being observed become one.

So 2500 years ago, the historical Buddha sat on Vulture's Peak for a long,
long time saying nothing to the thousands that were gathered to hear his
speech (the true meaning of life in this universe). Finally, saying nothing,
he held up a single flower. Only one person understood (Mahakashyapa). He
stood up and smiled. He got it. Boom!! No words, no speech, no thinking, no
cognition.

It seems that OS makes great use of this "before thinking mind". To me this
all loops back to Harrison's "one more thing Not to do" and Ralph's: "If you
go all the way to "nothing," does it become "everything"?

Who'd of thunk?

Indeed, what a whack to the ego.

Scott Stillinger
another OS list lurker