OS facilitators and process skills

Peg Holman pholman at email.msn.com
Mon Mar 1 09:08:15 PST 1999

While rare, I, too, have offered sessions during open spaces for which I
have held space.  In every case, it has been a setting where I had a partner
in holding space, so that while I stepped into the convenor role, I knew
there was someone whose energy was fully present for the whole group.

In a way, the challenge for me was to be there for the session I convened
since part of my attention remained with the whole community.  And re-entry
to the larger space always has a period of re-orientation as I tune fully
back in to the energy of the whole event.

I have never convened a session during a client sponsored event -- only ones
in which I was playing a dual role of sponsor and space opener/holder.
(e.g., an Open Space on Open Space, a gathering on Women Leaders)  I think
because I was going in with that duality of sponsor/space opener as part of
the mix, convening a session allowed me to participate by exploring what
inspired me to be part of making the event happen in the first place.

Peg Holman