Open Space Facilitators

BJ Peters bjpeters at amug.org
Wed Mar 3 01:47:39 PST 1999

Esther, thank you for your wonderful contribution to the discussion on
Open Space Facilitators.

Your thoughts validated and strengthened my thinking in a current
situation.  I have been talking with a potential client (CEO of a
non-profit in the behavioral health field) whose organization is truly
in a bleak situation, and he has painted himself into a "victim's"
corner.  I awoke the other morning thinking about what I might say to
him, suggestions I might have for what he can do to improve the
situation.  I was not generating very much that seemed useful, I was
feeling confused and frustrated, and then I had this flash of insight:
questions, framed thoughtfully, are the greatest gift I can give this
person.  Why would I expect to be able to solve his problems (fix his
situation)?  I don't have the knowledge or breadth of experience in his
organization to do that.  He and the members of his organization are the
only ones who can.  My role is to be present and ask questions to help
them find their own answers.  I DO know this, AND I DO forget it from
time to time.

Thank you for adding clarity and support for my process.

BJ

**************************************
“We must be the change we seek in the world."

                                                            Gandhi
BJ Peters
Consultant, Facilitator, Coach, Trainer
6523 N 14th Street #112