OS and Future Search

ralphsc ralphsc at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 24 15:43:23 PDT 1999

Karen Tiller's summary of her research was interesting to see here.

I have a couple of immediate thoughts.

First, while OS is certainly flexibly applied with respect to group size,
it would be a mistake to assume only OS can handle very large numbers.
Some future searches have involvede several hundred people by running
parallelor multiple events simultaneously.  I've done this twice myself
and found it to work just fine.

Second, I find both OS and FS to have transformative effects on people
and organizations, though less of the latter than the former. But I'd
never argue that you can base your organization on a FS structure or
meeting, as I would with OS.

Third, I think both OS and FS require leaders to understand they have no
control over the outcomes.  This does not only apply to applications of
OS, as Karen seems to indicate.

Ralph Copleman