OS and Future Search

ralphsc ralphsc at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 23 13:56:22 PDT 1999

It seems unncessary to assert the superiority of either of these two approaches, future search or open space, over the other,.

I use both.  Happily.  If I and my clients are thoughtful about the choice, then the one they eventually choose will be, I trust the one that works best.  For them.  How do I help them make that distinction?  I don't know, frankly, since I'm personally allergic to running down checklists of criteria, but I make always my recommendation based on what I know of the circumstances, the culture, the issues, the desired outcomes ­ a soupy mix of factors like that, both tangible and intangible.  I have also used both with the same client (which may be a better test that the bank in Montreal's approach, since they wound up knowing one and not the other).  Some prefer OS, others FS.  The reasons vary.  Maybe there's a graduate thesis here somewhere.

There is also this...

A difference between FS and OS that I don't think we've ever talked about on this list is the difference between the people who appreciate one over the other.  I may be over-generalizing, but number of OS'ers seem take a near-religious approach to the use of this approach, and the FS'ers appear to be more intellectual.  Perhaps we can say that people OS-folks take it on faith and FS-types take it on thought.  There may other patterns of difference between the two groups of preferers.  What's the difference between a gathering of FS people, say at the annual Learning Exchange, and OS people, perhaps at OSonOS's yearly get-together?  I've been to both.  Anyone else?

(I may be a hybrid: I take things on thaith. I enjoy the benefits of both and strengths of neither.  It's a third way.)

For those others here who subscribe to both listserves: have you noticed anything like what I'm pointing out?  And, by the way, does it matter?

The choice of whether one, as a consultant, prefers OS or FS may very well depend on how one is oriented or made-up or built or something.  Are there other thoughts about this out there?

Ralph Copleman