OS and Future Search

Jay Vogt JayWV at aol.com
Wed Jun 23 11:53:44 PDT 1999

In a message dated 6/21/99 3:51:31 PM, nmcc at rt66.com wrote:

<<I would be interested in hearing how the more experienced practitioners
would talk about the differences between OS and Future Search.>>

Hi Wallace:
You mention the obvious structural differences, and of course the role of the
facilitator is very different.
In terms of differences with outcomes, I offer the experience of the Bank of
Montreal as one example.

The Learning Center (some such name) there reviewed all large group
technologies for use as culture change vehicles at the bank.  They selected
OS over FS partly because the requirements for FS are so daunting that the
chances of it spreading easily and quickly through the culture were remote.
They went with OS and sure enough soon had folks trying it all through the
Bank.

Although both technologies empower participants, Open Space is simply and yet
goes farther, deeper, faster

Best, Jay