OS Certification and Water

Scott Stillinger Stillinger at aol.com
Fri Jun 11 09:17:20 PDT 1999

$25 sounds a little high, but maybe $9.95 if you throw in a signed glossy of
yourself, Harrison (just kidding).

There will always be people who want to sell certification for everything. It
has rubbed me the wrong way for a long time. The older I get, the less
enraged I've become. There are a lot of ways to get from San Francisco to New
York.

I'm a certified executive coach. What does that mean? Especially because the
kind of coaching that I do assumes that all of the knowledge, wisdom,
creativity, and resources reside within the client/colleague.

In the Zen tradition we refer to it as "Selling water by the river." It's
crazy, but there will always be somebody selling people water even though
they're right next to the river. And there will always be people who want to
buy it. Some people obviously need to pay and others don't.

Good teachers always point out that the teacher is not the Way and that
everyone has to find their own Way. "Please, don't follow me". And still,
people stand in line to buy the water, while the whole show is going on right
next to the river.

By the way, those that point out the fact that the river is right there, end
up selling the most water. They just don't charge as much per gallon.

All my best,
Scott

Scott Stillinger
Stillinger & Associates