CASOS and OPE -- was Re: OS and Future Search

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Sun Jun 27 08:14:26 PDT 1999

<snip>

Most seem to agree that we can have an Open Space ORGANISATION but it
seems
to me  the implication of the conditions above is that any such
organisation
must exist in the state prescribed by the conditions.  And I don't think

that is even thinkable:  (permanent) high levels of conflict and decison

times of yesterday.

Especially since we are trying to (re)solve that very situation!

-------

thanks for your posting denis, it helped sharpen a few things i'd been
forgetting, as i'm trying to write an article here.  have to add the
following, snipet for now and will post the article as soon as it's
ready.  (though this article is the crux move i've been trying to make for the
last year in what's looking more and more like it might actually become a
book, much as i've tried not to write a book!  ...either way, when i can say
more here, i will.)

regarding your posting then, i don't think we are 'solving' or 'resolving'
these conditions in the
sense of making these conditions go away, but i do think we're learning
to live with the disruption and discomfort they cause for us.  to my
mind, our evolution toward larger wholes, more personal and inclusive
stories, more flexible structures and more creative actions is what
allows us to live with ever-rising levels of conflict, complexity,
urgency, and diversity.  evolution is our response to the
ever-deepening, ever-more-complex universe.

for me, it's exactly the same as the FLOW stuff as well, but in four
directions simultaneously, not just the one that csikzentmihalyi talks
about.  this is where i connect FLOW with ken wilber's four quadrants
(in/out, one/many), angeles arrien's fourfold way, harrison's four
conditions, and fast company magazine's four basic business questions
(how digital are you? recent cover story).

Michael Herman
...inviting spirit AND results in evolving organizations

Michael Herman Associates
300 West North Avenue #1105
Chicago IL 60610
312-280-7838 voice