OS and Future Search

Larry Peterson lpasoc at inforamp.net
Fri Jun 25 13:37:13 PDT 1999

It is fascinating that the OS and Future Search conversation is going on at
the time I was approached by a key Future Search person in Toronto to
explore mutual learning. We are likely going to organize an Open Space about
such things for both networks in TO.

I was using many of the insights embedded in Future Search in participatory
processes and events that I designed and facilitated in the 70's and since
then. I developed national conferences on homelessness that had some of the
same processes elements and impact.  It is nicely packaged in Future Search
and certainly deals well with stakeholder participation. In preparing to
Open Space in some organizations, I will use guided processes to clarify and
share the context,  past story or "theme", Accomplishments and Struggles
(organizationally), prouds & sorries (individually) and what assumptions
have been made and need to made in the future. I find that this does bring
to consciousness some things that then enrich the participation in Open
Space and lead to more breakthroughs. Like future search, it is their data
generated in guided but self-organized conversations. With voluntary groups
who do not meet frequently, this is sometimes a critical component, but it
does not take the full preparation time of a Future Search (it isn't really
the full Future Search package".

I know that many Future Searchers are now using Open Space at the close.

If they are seen as "packages", then they are competing. If they are seen as
part of the journey then they don't.  Some organizations are ready to
intentionally move to ongoing open space and a "Future Search" package will
no longer be needed.

Larry

Larry Peterson
Associates in Transformation