Holding the space

Sheila T. Isakson isakson at juno.com
Mon Jul 12 11:45:49 PDT 1999

Dear Andrea,
      I do hope that you have the opportunity to meet and visit with
Birgitt Bolton, who at this very moment is visiting Austrailia and
sharing her wisdom about Open Space Technology.  She is beginning in
Melbourne with Fr. Brian Bainbridge.  I mention this because she is so
very talented in dealing with "wise men" who also can be "space
invaders."  What I have observed of her work is to invite perceived space
invaders to: 1) share their passion by posting a topic that addresses
what they care about and are willing to take responsibility for and 2)
listen so that they can discover who else cares about the same things
that they do.  Therein lies the challenge....take responsibility for what
they care about.  A third option involves convening a conversation during
a meal or after the regular sessions, which is fine.  The important thing
for me is to invite you, Andrea, to consider how very important your role
is in protecting the space for all.  It is important to let the group
deal with space invaders by using the law of two feet.  Hope this helps!

Sheila