Maiking "SAFE SPACE"

Larry Peterson lpasoc at inforamp.net
Sun Jul 25 12:47:28 PDT 1999

Brian:  I loved your clarity with regard to making space safe. I think you
are right on in describing how the process and principles do create a sense
of safety. The facilitator's personal presence is also critical.

This safety is of a certain kind, however. It is creating safety for "truth"
to emerge. That truth still requires risk and personal openness or it may
not be experienced as "safe". It may challenge preconceived ideas and power
arrangements, and those who have had the power may not feel as "safe" as
they did before the space was opened. This does not mean a challenge to
physical safety in most cases.  However I have seen it lead to some people
who were in the room trying to regain control of what has been unleashed
after the event is over. (Particularly in the church and voluntary sectors.)

Larry

Larry Peterson
Associates in Transformation
41 Appleton Ave., Toronto, ON,