A case for training

Michelle Cooper coopgrp at interlynx.net
Tue Jan 26 20:05:19 PST 1999

Ingrid:
Great work Ingrid.

The other great thing that is happening a lot in Ontario is mentoring.  My learning has been enhanced by Birgitt supporting me (and many others) to participate in open space meetings or to co-facilitate so that I can consolidate my "theory" .  She coaches me from the sidelines (as a colleague) as I prepare for or debrief from events.  In return, I have invited others who are interested in open space to observe and participate in meetings that I am conducting to learn about open space.  There is much richness for both the facilitator and the learner. If people connect, they often go on for training (if they have not done so already).  If not ready to train, they are often the informal "sales people" for open space.  I enjoy the feedback from the other person.   I also think it is the best "advertising" there is for the power and effectiveness of open space.  One of these people was a Master's student who did a placement with me for a semester and wrote about the open space meetings in her papers. The professors are interested.  Who knows where it will go!  I support the side that says we can't have enough people doing open space. By mentoring, we have a chance to influence that open space is done well!

Some people will still choose to go off and do what they want with open space having attended one meeting.  That we have no control over.  So, I guess the best we can do is model doing open space in the way that it was intended and invite people to learn or direct them to the resources.

Michelle

Michelle Cooper
The Cooper Group Consultants
200 Crestview  Avenue