Process question

Birgitt Bolton birgitt at worldchat.com
Thu Jan 21 16:18:08 PST 1999

Don,

Here are how my thoughts address the question of metaphor at the time of
prioritization.

I attend a yoga class. After all the moving and stretching and such, and
then getting myself untangled again (not gracefully I might add), we have
the chance to lie and move into a deep meditation. I have experiences that
are uniquely mine and enrich who I am and my own transformation and the way
I can go forward into the world. The teacher brings us back to awareness of
the present moment. And then she always does something that upsets me
greatly. She uses and elaborates on a metaphor that she has predetermined as
appropriate for us at that moment. I am aware that the metaphors that she
uses meet her need of the moment, her journey. They have totally different
meanings for me. And I don't like them being intruded on my learning and
journey at that moment, which was much richer before she intruded with her
stuff.

I wish she would just keep it simple and stay with the minimum necessary to
get the task done. I wondered how I would feel after being in an Open Space
in which my whole self was present and in which I had powerful experiences
that were uniquely mine, if a metaphor was presented by the facilitator to
take me through to next steps. And I realized that I would not like it. I
would want whatever happened to honour my right to my journey and my space.

Anyhow, that is me. Metaphors are powerful, more powerful in deeply
influencing another than we know. And each metaphor means something
different to each of us. Even something as innocent as a house. This
metaphor may be a good one for you. It may not be a good metaphor for
someone who has serious negative issues about a house of just that  shape.
You just never know what memories the metaphor triggers and how much can be
unleashed.

I personally love metaphors and constantly think in metaphors. When I am a
participant in Open Space, I use them in discussions and like others using
them. This is a natural flow. Is it different when the holder of space uses
them---I think yes. It is not part of the natural flow.

Anyhow, thus was my thinking on this one.

Birgitt