Open Space in Westminster

Birgitt Bolton birgitt at worldchat.com
Fri Jan 1 20:31:59 PST 1999

Hi Romy and Happy New Year to all of you. May you all experience a year of
abundance and love, a year of following what has heart and meaning and
living life to the fullest!

Re: OS with young people

There are many, many stories of OS with young people. When possible, I
prefer intergenerational OS's to those that have only young people. What the
young people contribute usually astounds those of other generations who see
before them young people that they don't usually treat as human beings at
all, much less ask their opinion.One of my favourite stories to tell is one
that involved one of my daughters, then age 15. A proud mom story, if you
will. It was held at town council with all town councillors present. I knew
most of them, which added some delight for me in what happened. Anyhow,
somewhere along the line, Rachel got the idea that these town councillors
were the very same folks who had recently passed a curfew bylaw requiring
all teens to be in their own homes by 10pm or they would be picked up by
police (first such reduction of freedom and democracy in Canada since the
War Measures Act in the early 70's). Anyhow, Rachel decided that she would
tackle this topic head on by posting the topic of "teens and the law". Now,
these town councillors made the mistake of thinking they would go to the
session and get even more ideas about how to impose even stricter laws
against teens (public opinion was very much in their favour until that night
:-)). So, Rachel, fuelled by her passion and therefore not shy about leading
the group stated what she thought of how teens were treated and the laws
which denied the country's guaranteed freedoms, etc. And by opening up the
topic in this way, the opinion of the majority in the group shifted and many
started talking about teens as people ( a new concept for many around here).
That is, except for those councillors. They didn't say a word (which is also
a new concept here). Which was unusual. And this may be one of the few times
that the "law of two feet" didn't work. Not one of those councillors dared
to leave that group. Somehow. And as they filed out sheepishly one by one
when it was done, they looked at me and said "your daughter, eh?". And I
smiled. And there were no further "anti-teen" laws passed. And in fact, the
skateboard example below comes from this community as well.

Some of the wonder and fun I have had in OS with young people has included:
1. OS in a downtown outside location with street teens who everyone said
would never show up. Okay--so having pizza helped!! About 80 teens
participated and gave input to services to bring teens off the streets.
2. OS in a housing project with teens from about 52 countries, all of whom
were here as refugees. Weapons had to be turned in to staff who would give
them back when the young people left. These teens run in gangs for their own
protection. With them we created a community centre that worked for and with
them. High success over a number of years. All meetings took place in OS.
Both for meetings and for program/sports all weapons and fights were willing
left to other times and never intruded in program, despite deep hatred. We
did not "police" things. The young people did so themselves.
3. OS in public meetings for our For the Love of Canada project in
discussions to talk about the hope of keeping Canada as a united country.
Teens met in OS. Teens met with those of other ages in OS.
4. OS in a private school for the first three days of school to create the
"preferred school year"
5. OS in a public school with 12/13 year olds to discuss the issues and
opportunities they were contending with.
6. OS with teens to look at meeting their needs in a well to do community.
Result was converting one of the two arenas into a skateboarding arena. And
all the policing that had been done to keep the skateboarders "under
control" were no longer needed.

Warmest regards,
Birgitt

Birgitt Bolton of Dalar Associates
www.openspacetechnology.com
55 Ravina Cres., Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
 L9G 2E8
phone: 905-648-5775  fax: 905-648-2262