Talking Stick

Pete Hovde phovde at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 1 08:21:59 PST 1999

Hi Don,

I am not sure of the origin of the talking stick and would very much like
to know what you find out.  I thought I knew but someone told me they
didn't think it was a Native American tradition as I thought.

I can tell you how I use it however.  I use it each time in the closing
session as a way to honor each individual with the floor when they have the
stick.  I explain the process and then pass the stick to the person on my
right or left.  They then take their time, or pass if they don't want to
talk, and then pass it on to the next person.  When it has gone all the way
around, I place it in the middle of the circle for anyone to go forward
with something else they would like to say.

I have an added, personal twist as well.  I carve diamond willow walking
sticks and have written a metaphor about these that fits extremely nicely,
at least in my mind, for Open Space.  I will attach a copy of the Word
document.  Please let me know if you are not able to open it and I can
paste it directly into an email.

Pete
Pete Hovde
The Possibilities Co.
973 California Ave. W.
St. Paul, MN  55117
Phone:  651/487-1847
*** Live in the present and anticipate the future! ***