Open Space and Dialogue

Peg Holman pholman at msn.com
Fri Dec 24 08:22:56 PST 1999

Chris,

I was quite struck by your comment:

>It ends with me hypothesising that in consensus processes situated in
collectivist cultural settings, there is no distinction between the
>individual and the group.

My experience of OS is indeed that it allows both the indivual and the group
to be most fully themselves.

I want to poke a bit at this work being about consensus.  I think it moves
into something much richer than consensus.  This may be subtle, but for me
part of the power of what happens in AI, OS and/or Dialogue is that a
collective understanding of essence or spirit emerges.  And people act from
that place.  They don't necessarily act from consensus, they act from how
the whole's spirit moves through them.  In OS, we speak of this as passion
and responsibility.

When I was first introduced to Dialogue, I read Bohm's "On Dialogue".  He
describes this idea in this way:

"The hunter-gatherers...from time to time met like this is a circle.  They
just talked and talked and talked, apparently to no purpose.  They made no
decisions.  There was no leader.  And everybody could participate.  There
may have been wise men or wise women who were listened to a bit more - the
older ones - but everybody could talk.  The meeting went on, until it
finally seemed to stop for no reason at all and the group dispersed.  Yet
after that, everybody seemed to know what to do, because they understood
each other so well.  Then they could get together in smaller groups and do
something or decide things."

Best of success with your work; it sounds powerful and important.

Peg Holman