Self-organizing systems

Richard Holloway learnshops at thresholds.com
Fri Aug 20 21:37:12 PDT 1999

Hello, Michelle...

although I don't know a great deal about systems, living systems (which are
by definition self-organizing) are a topic which has engaged my attention
for the past few years.

there are some wonderful texts which have been valuable to my understanding.
I'll share them here, but I understand that primary reference sources are
not always useful to everyone.

Fritjof Capra's "The Web of Life"
Humberto Maturana & Francisco Varela's "The Tree of Knowledge"
Stuart Kauffman (oops...title escaped me...his work on Complex Adaptive
Systems)

of course, family systems thinkers like Bateson, Satir and Friedman (among
others) were early and influential contributors to this body of knowledge
and are still well-worth reading.

Living systems (according to Capra's interpretation) seem to rely on 3
criteria:
Structure
Pattern
Process

They are self-organizing systems (Maturana calls it autopoeisis, which is
essentially self-creating).

Because human beings are autonomous entities, within our communities we form
what Maturana refers to as meta-systems.

One of the most remarkable "meta-system" is the Open Space experience, where
we can witness the development of a self-organizing process within the
pattern (laws/principles) and structure (space) of open space.  It's
remarkable because autonomous beings come together into this system
experience and generate something totally new for a short while and then
move away never to be regenerated.

Because we are each whole...and connected to our collective experience...it
is impossible to differentiate between our intellect, emotions, spirit and
body.  These are interconnected in ways we will not fathom except by "being"
whole.

The Open Space "system" is similar in that there are connections being made
between and among the collective intellects, emotions, spirits and bodies
until we may not differentiate between the ways in which we have connected
except by accepting the "wholeness" of the experience.

I suspect that terms like "self-organizing systems" sound too pat or simple
or scientific to some.  For many others it reflects a deeper understanding
of the way in which all life is connected (the Gaia consciousness is an
example).

regards,

Richard (Doc) Holloway