Help for David

Richard Charles Holloway learnshops at thresholds.com
Tue Sep 8 08:04:45 PDT 1998

I think that you've hit the nail on the head with this one, Esther.  The real
problem that David has is that the meeting he's facilitating isn't an open
space meeting, though it may appear superficially to resemble one.

The reason I say this, David, is because you mentioned that it's your bosses'
meeting...he expects, he demands, he insists.  As in many organizations,
authoritarianism frequently gets in the way of creativity, problem-solving,
openness.

The other problem you face, it seems to me, is you lack a critical problem for
which your participants can recommend a solution that will be acceptable to the
boss. (I say this because your description indicates a command and control
culture at work here).

I know that you really want to hold an open space--that you want to share a
wonderful experience, and you can see the potential for good that it can do in
your organization.  However, without the "convening authority" accepting the
spirit of open space, I'm afraid that Esther is right in her predilection for
harm.  I encourage you to listen to her voice.

If you can convince your convener to join you in the spirit and methodology;
and if you have a real Open Space issue to frame into a question (this is the
energy focus for self-organization); then you have a real opportunity--and it
will be difficult for you to do anything wrong.

walk in peace,

Doc Holloway

--
"Do not pursue the past.  Do not lose yourself in the future.  The past no
longer is, and the future has not yet come. Look deeply at life, just as it is

Thresholds <http://www.thresholds.com>
Meeting Masters <http://www.thresholds.com/masters.html>
Richard C. "Doc" Holloway    Astoria, OR & Olympia, WA  USA
ICQ# 10849650  voice 360.786.0925