Help for David

Birgitt Bolton birgitt at worldchat.com
Mon Sep 7 08:10:02 PDT 1998

Hi Ralph and John,
And thank you for this discussion on mandatory or invitation. I think invitation is the ideal. It is how I conduct my life--I wouldn't want someone showing up in it under duress. And it is how I think we respectfully conduct organizational life. It is good role modeling---about where the energy is, where it is not, and how to work from there. I would rather a situation where over a period of time, more and more individuals accepted the invitation.

I agree that an Open Space  works even if mandatory attendance. I know my goal is always using the Open Space  to move toward the Open Space Organization, an open learning organization. Sometimes I am only in the organization for one event. So maybe this shouldn't matter to me, but it always does.  And because I wear this lens, the idea of mandatory doesn't fit.

Any more comments?
Birgitt