Tri-Lingual Open Space Facilitation

Birgitt Bolton birgitt at worldchat.com
Wed Sep 9 12:15:43 PDT 1998

Sometimes what works best is to be sure that people just post items in the language they intend to have the discussion in. When numbers from differing language groups are uneven, the only complaint is that if a group has very few people in one language,that all their discussion groups tend to be amongst the same few individuals. People of other language groups often attend the English ones. English speakers very seldom show the courage to attend in another language.

At registration, I have people volunteer to wear a colour code of some sort on their name badge if they are willing to translate while in any discussion groups. This way, many many people have self identified their willingness to translate in the smaller groups and things do take care of themselves from there. This is also noted in the opening, and people are great at helping each other, and generally feel satisfied that the organizers honoured their inclusion.

Good luck,
Birgitt Bolton