OS and Young People/Education

Jody Orr jorr at worldchat.com
Wed Oct 14 08:52:48 PDT 1998

A simple story to add to September conversations regarding elementary
school children and their participation (or not) in Open Space...may also
relate (tangentially) to participation of the very young, i.e. students at
6th and 7th grade level in an Open Space which included adults as well...in
my case, this was a community event and speaks to OS and the break down of
“traditional” assumed age barriers....

I spend some of my time volunteering as an organizational consultant to the
Board of a small, local multi-service agency in rural, small town in
Ontario...Serving a rural community with few big city amenities (mind you,
I prefer it this way!!!) , there are always complaints about young people
“hanging around” and “causing trouble”. As a result, the agency decided to
do something about this and has, after one abortive attempt several years
ago, been investigating the “needs of youth”(a very small group of young
people (2-3) have been involved with this from the outset). After a survey
of high school students last year strongly supported the notion, the
decision was made (by adults and the few participating young people) to try
to get a youth run, adult-mentored, youth organization off the ground...so
they decided on an “organizing meeting”...

In determining how to move, the Board of the agency struggled with a
meeting agenda which would involve and engage young people...I suggested
Open Space and the power/ importance of that which has “heart and meaning”
and after a brief explanation, they (with some caution) agreed to give it a
try...

To launch it, invitations were sent to young people in the schools and
adults who had over time expressed an interest...free barbecue to start
off...with a meeting with “no agenda” (a.k.a. Open Space) to follow (only 3
hours in OS) focused on the opportunities and challenges for “building a
community-wide youth organization run by youth supported by adults”.. We
had about 35 people show up...about 20 of these were 16 or under, and a
good 10 of them were about 12 years old. The appearance of many pre-teens
led, as one might expect, to some concerns (from adults) about whether
people “so young” could contribute...even some pre-opening talk among
adults about them deliberately interspersing themselves across small groups
posted in the marketplace to “help” the kids along...I suggested they
instead go where they really wanted to go and to further counteract the
tendency towards “should go to this group” rather than “want to go to this
group”, I spent a good deal of time talking about engaging in “what is
really important to you” in the opening ...adults ended up taking the risk
of following their hearts...as a result, at least three of the posted
discussion groups were composed entirely of the very young...

Two observations...First, the energy in the space was wonderful...so high
and so palpable...despite wonderful experiences both being in and opening
space, I have never felt the space vibrate in this way before...the young
people who were present were so “at home” in the space...posted sessions
more quickly than the adults, exercised the “law of mobility” more
comfortably and bumble-beed and butterflied all over the place. It paid off
big time, with commitments to the young people from local politicians who
were present to do follow up on some particular issues...Second, but
related, adults learned from the young people...they very quickly stopped
being “experts” and listened actively and creatively...some even started to
bumble-bee themselves...This was all later transformed into support for
young leadership, a “planning group” composed of young people and adults
alike with the young people already having determined first steps and
adults falling into a facilitator/support role...the real test of this
small sample of “empowerment” will come later as things roll out...

In closing, high marks for Open Space and the need to do “most” meetings in
this format...for the young people, not-surprising observations peppered
with comments such as “I really had a chance to say what I wanted to say”
and “for the first time, people really listened to me”...

An observation (not particularly original) from this: the initial contrast
between young people and adults as the space was opened suggests that at
some point in our “growth” we bury our (or others’) capacity for high play
and creativity (not kill, just bury, for we do seem able to find it
momentarily again when the conditions are right). Then, some questions:
what are the reasonable (?) limits from an age perspective for “meaningful”
participation in Open Space (and who defines “meaningful” in any event)?
what can we learn from children about the flow of energy and sense of time
and space which can enrich our capacity to open and hold space? what are
the implications for the way I nurture my own children?

In sum...it was a wonderful experience...other than the clear need for all
to be involved with an  issue which has heart and meaning for them, I would
enjoy hearing about the questions which have arisen or the learning others
have experienced from children/young people who are participants in Open
Space events...

Jody