Fw: OS in education

Buzz Blick buzz at nwlink.com
Tue Oct 13 10:44:35 PDT 1998

Very small world, Birgitt!  I am writing with two co-authors (Frank Duffy
and Lynda Rogerson) a book tentatively titled Redesigning America's Schools:
a systems approach to improvement, which is scheduled to be published in
mid-1999.  We are using a combination of OST, the Emery Search Conference
and Participative Design Workshops as three of our primary methods for
school-community planning and the actual school district redesign process.
As part of my work on the book, I am including examples of using OST in the
initial phases of a district redesign.

In a related project, I am working through National Training Associates and
several state agencies in facilitating a series of eight, three-day youth
and community centered OS events throughout the state of Idaho.  Most have
combined school-youth-community involvement while others are aimed primarily
at determining future youth service needs in cities, counties and/or regions
of the state.  Of course, each event is designed around local needs, but we
have had great participation from school officials, as well as a real
cross-section of civic leaders and just interested citizens.  Youth from 5th
grade up as well as administrators, staff and board members have been
involved in all aspects of the process.  Because they are all three-day OST
events, each site is producing printed proceedings at the end of each
session, as well as action plans and responsibility charting, which are
printed up and distributed later.  I am doing some follow-up from a February
session and have received great reports on the results.  Arrangements have
been made to produce several short descriptive videos in the next few
months.  So, we will have a pretty interesting and useful collection of
data, photos and stories by Christmas.

Because I am on the road so much between now and the first of the year, it
is tough to reach me by phone. However, if anyone is interested in talking
with me about this I will be at the November OS event in Monterrey and hope
to be able to attend the summer get-together in Oregon.   I'd love to trade
stories and ideas on the use of OST with schools, communities and young
people.  By then we should have a video or two done also.  If anyone is
interested, I could bring it along.

Thanks for your time in reading this rather long email.

Buzz

Buzz Blick, M.Ed.
Consultation, Facilitation and Training
606 Laurel Drive