OSONOS-my struggles,my viewpoint

Rod Douglas success at onthenet.com.au
Thu Nov 26 22:39:17 PST 1998

Birgitt,

I honour your courage and your honesty...

Doing community is hard... I've been watching the unfolding of this list
with interest and up until now haven't really had a lot to contribute...
Reading your truthful account was a very beautiful experience for me because
I believe that authenticity is the essence of Open Space...

I use Open Space, the principles and philosophies everyday in my work... I
have absolute love and a heartful of thanks to Harrison for what he has
birth and so generously given to the world... and I choose to stay generally
outside of the community that is forming around OS...

I'm a minimalist, yet I know that as soon as people come together to use OS
on OS then the probability is a polarisation towards the beliefs that each
one of us holds as "right"... I choose to be "happy" and learn each and
everyday from my experiences and the unfolding that such beautiful space
brings to me... And some would accuse me of  being selfish, although I'm
always delighted to help anyone out who asks...

At the same time I have the marginal privilege and absolute responsibility
of being the leader of a business (and I guess a community) that is
endeavouring to bring spirit back into the business world... We have deep
levels of honesty and regular opportunities for everyone to share and
process their stuff and still it bubbles over and often the accuser will
reflect all of their anguish and limited thinking as stuff that has
something to do with me... Of course the only way through it is a big dose
of the truth laced with significant amounts of compassion...

The good news is that for all the "hard" that community is... it's worth
ever ounce of the tons of pain that I've had to endure... and it happens
slowly and over time...

The question that I would ask you is how is the OS community bounded... The
only thing that keeps our community heading in the right direction and with
commitment that pulls people together rather than pushing it apart is the
depth our culture is defined by the Vision, Mission, Purpose and Values that
we all hold...

OS is a gift to the world... Can we form a community that ensures that it
could possibly fulfil the vision and possibility that Harrison (and many
others) hold for it... Who will hold the space... or can the idea hold it's
own space... could it be that custodians are necessary, just as we must
always have a custodian of the space in an OS...

Many questions... undoubtably OS has become stronger through the fiery path
you all walked in Monterey...

Love & Light

Rod Douglas

Live long and prosper...