Exec Coaching and 3rd Day`

CaveOat CaveOat at aol.com
Thu Mar 26 07:31:04 PST 1998

Kay Vogt here.

I finished my 3 day Open Space yesterday and wanted to thank everyone who
repsonded to my pleas for help. The suggestions I got from many of you were
very very helpful and I wanted to give back to the list by sharing what I did.

Before taking the job:  Made sure I had the support of the top person and that
he understood that he would not have control of  the meeting but that his
attendance was crucial. And that I wanted a meeting with his managers to
explain the OS process, to surface resistance, and improve the probability of
support for the outcomes of the OS.

Four days before the event: (Next time I'd want more time, like 2 to 3 weeks
before the event)

3 1/2 hour meeting with the 60 managers. Showed US WEST video, took questions
about the process,  and then did mini OS around the theme: What are the issues
and opportunities around the use of OS. It was very interesting. A lot of fear
and resistance came up as well as tremendous support and enthusiasm. Then a
closing circle with one word from each participant. Though a little short and
rushed, we did what we needed to do in this time. Next time would want at
least 4 hours.

3rd Day - Instead of voting, which I have always hated, we did an Affinity
process. Put all the topic titles (29) on small pieces of paper with tape.
Gave instructions that people were to move the titles to groupings. Papers can
be moved more than once, someone may move a topic and then someone else come
along and move it again, and again, and again. Several times the topics were
organized into  3, 4, 5 or more groupings. This was done in silence. Trick is
"knowing" where to stop. We could have stopped several times, and there was
some dissenion about stopping when we did. But it turned out well, with the 29
topics narrowed down to 5 or 6. Two big groups, one medium sized and 2 small.

Each group was given one hour to figure out 1) Who was to carry the group on
as convenor(s); 2) What are action steps (based on you know what to do, you
need more information, you have no clue) 3) When the group would meet next.

The closing circle was awesome, just awesome. It felt like a mystical
experience to me, with one person  even saying that he could hear our hearts
beating in unison.
I am so grateful to be doing this work.