Connective Tissue

Ralph Copleman ralphsc at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 18 00:48:27 PDT 1998

Chris,

Can you say more about how you see the difference between trust and
mutual respect?

Ralph Copleman

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 10:20:17 +0100
To: OSLIST <OSLIST at LISTSERV.IDBSU.EDU>
From: Chris Kloth <kloth at tmn.com>
Subject: Connective Tissue: Trust & Mutual Respect

Ralph, et al;

As usual you have blown my cover, seen through my illusion, engaged my
love for ambiguity!

First, it is clear to me that trust and mutual respect a very closely
related, maybe the same thing...in a model we sometimes use to help
create dialogue we use them together and seperately...either by whim or
design...Terry tends to use mutual respect more, I tend to use trust
more.

The following is an on line sense of the moment on this question for me
and I will appreciate reactiions which may help me get more clear...as
much as I resist clarity!

My expereince is that putting trust on the table as an explicit issue
for individuals, organization and communities tends to up the emotional
charge in the dialogue.  I often hear people acknowledge verbally and
demonstrate behaviors which are related to mutual respect: you know more
about this aspect than I do, you have more skill or access than I do
related to this mutal need or want.

It just occurred to me that the word "mutual" in the phrase seems to
imply either a trasnsaction or interdependence as related to some aspect
of our relationship...maybe a boundedness.

For me trust, explicitly or implicitly, seems to be deeper, less
conditional, less transactional.

As you know, I am prone to the long version.  I think I will stop here a
find out what comes up.

Chris