Conflict in OS and other questions

uwe weissflog uwe.weissflog at sdrc.com
Tue Jul 14 08:40:47 PDT 1998

Kevin,

based on my experience in 5 Open Space events (between 18 and 120 people) as a
facilitator over the past 2 years, the issues expressed in your questions are
really non-issues. I say this because one of the principles in OS, the principle
of self-organizing systems is like a natural law and ALWAYS works. If a group
wants to meet at the pool (a bench in the park, in a bar, at Starbucks, or whatever
the local equivalent might be) so be it. It does not matter. Similarly your
question of the agenda that might not be filled up, no concern here.

Consider the possibility that your questions relate to "Who is in control and
who's expectations are being met". If you take yourself out of the equation (Get
out of the way, Harrison's 4th and last step in his 4 step advice to
facilitators) you basically guarantee that the groups will be successful.

One last comment, Open Space needs to be experienced. Do one. Books can only
partially describe what is really going on. Go to Harrison's workshops, they
provide the essence (and you'll have a blast). Don't confuse the menu with the meal.

good luck on your journey
Uwe