Open Space Training and Facilitation

Larry Peterson lpasoc at inforamp.net
Thu Jan 8 16:57:44 PST 1998

Birgitt Bolton an I are in the midst of leading a workshop entitled Opening
the Space. It is a four day event that prepares leaders or facilitators to
Open the Space. We are leading this one for the new Training and Development
group within a newly merged city. It has been a "wow" so far.

We have led 4 of these now, either as stand alone events or as inhouse
workshops. Some of the folks who have taken our workshop has also taken
Harrisons. Others go on to take Harrisons. Some of them have Opened the
Space with OST in a variety of meetings. We keep the prices low with a focus
on making it accessible to non-profit or local government groups.

A recent event was with the staff team of an organization serving
consumer/survivors of mental health services. Most of the participants were
consumer survivors, some on substantial medication. They are now Opening
Spaces in a variety of ways with the groups they work with in their
organization. Some of those groups (like 50 others in Ontario) are
developing economic ventures---like making and painting pottery for sale.
Certainly, folks from that community can learn to Open Space. (We also had
three consumer/survivor consultants at our last public workshop who are now
Opening the Space in a variety of organizations across the provice. Their
Province Wide organization AGM met in Open Space with 100 people in
November. Jody Orr and I led that one and the spirit and movement building
was palpable.)

I agree with Metta, that I know  many trained facilitators who are not at a
personal point where they could Open the Space. I know some community
workers and some business types with no "facilitator training" who can Open
the Space.

As at the "training" conversation at the last OSonOS, I don't think training
is really the right word. Most people can read Harrison's book and know
"how" to lead the process. I know people who have led 15 Open Space events
without any "training". It is more about ability to risk with heart, ability
to understand a theme or visioin, the ability to engage the trust and
confidence of others and the ability to let go and learn. Many of us need
help on the journey to discover those abilities. Sure, there is also some
learning about the nuts and bolts of an event. That learning is deeper if
the Open Space is with an intact organization and requires some contracting
and context clarifying to get to the theme or to deal with a dead moose that
emerges.

Anyway, I don't know if this helps, but I'm sure having fun this week and
thought I'd make an entry.