Fw: Invitations and Such for Youth-Centered Open Space Events

Larry Peterson lpasoc at inforamp.net
Fri Feb 13 06:54:30 PST 1998

Buzz:  I've Opened the Space in 3 community wide events that I remember.

>>First, what should be included on the public announcement and invitations?
---Unless OS is the focus, emphasize the theme in public announcements and
that the participants will  be creating their own  agenda. Talk about Open
Space as an added value.
--People not being there for the full  three days is normal. Encourge people
to come for all. The three day event I led went over 4 days, with meeting
venues all over the city.

>>A second question I have is about pre-registration.  How have others
>collected names (or at least numbers of people who plan to attend) so
arrangements can be made for food and such?

--Registration was encourged by the sponsors of the event, who were from the
community and knew folks. Somebody was designated to get call in or written
registrations in relation to food. In one case, you could not come without
registering during or before.

>>Third, has anyone involved large numbers of students (150 or so) during
>school days?  How have you tracked attendance and covered the legal liability
>issues with minors?

--I did an Open Space Youth Forum during school time, with only 50 or so
students. The schools were involved and  developed the appropraite release
requirements.

>>Fourth, how well does the TASC software work with large groups (200 +).

--I have used it many times  with large groups and it has worked very well.
It takes longer to read and vote, but you just need more computers. With
200-300  folks 10-15 computer voting stations would make it go fast.

Larry