Meditation on Loving Kindness

Gary Kimble & Metta Zetty gkmz at onr.com
Sun Feb 22 05:26:51 PST 1998

In a recent side-line message to Birgitt, I shared the following
Buddhist meditation on loving kindness ("metta") with her. It
reminds me a bit of the challenge/opportunity of opening/holding
space....

Birgitt thought it might be of interest to others on this list,
so here it is.....(This is excerpted from a book by the same title,
"Loving Kindness" by Sharon Salzberg.)

                                .o00o.

May I offer my care and presence unconditionally,
knowing it may be met by gratitude, anger or anguish.

May I find the inner resources to be truly able to give.

May I offer love, knowing that I cannot control the course
of life, suffering or death.

May I remain in peace and let go of expectations.

I care about your pain, but cannot control it.

I wish you happiness and peace,
but cannot make your choices for you.

May this experience help me to open to
the true nature of life.