people coming and going at OS

Esther Ewing eewing at inforamp.net
Tue Dec 29 05:49:18 PST 1998

Oliver:

My opinion is that is the numbers of people coming and going are very few
(like max 10 out of your 140) then it won't matter. However, people coming
and going do detract from the cumulative energy which is building over the
two days event so you would need to make sure that it is not a universally
assumed thing.

Secondly, it is less distracting if a few who were there at the beginning
are unable to stay for the whole time than the other way around. That is,
if people show up at the beginning (when the space is opened for the first
time and when the topics get posted and the rules and principles are
explained) then if a few can't make it the second day, so be it. However,
if a few people show up the second day who were not there the first day, it
is more disruptive and more difficult to integrate.

On ocasion, I've made it a rule that those who are coming on the second
day, must have been there for the first. And I've made that clear in the
invitation. (Especially with high school students)

I don't always need to set that rule because coming and going isn't always
an issue. But I've found that when you set the rule up front, (as part of
the invitation) it becomes part of what people consider when they're
deciding to come or not. It's above board and transparent and easily
understood.

Blessings
Esther

 "All [people] dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty
recesses of their minds, awake to find it was vanity; But the dreamers of
day are dangerous [people], That they may act their dreams with open eyes
to make it possible."

T. E. Lawrence

(Lawrence of Arabia)

Esther Ewing