fear and change

Keith, Jaymee KeithJ at WSDOT.WA.GOV
Tue Dec 22 09:55:19 PST 1998

I believe individuals (and organizations) change for three reasons:

1.  It is too painful to continue the status quo
2.  Boredom
3.  We recognize that change is actually possible -- for ourselves and
for our organizations.

Consequently, so long as it's bearable for us to remain the same, we
feel no compulsion to change.  We are comfortable with "business as
usual" -- what we know.  However, we are human and curious and at least
we in the U.S. (check out What Americans Are Made Of) are always on the
lookout for "new and improved."  We toy with new ideas and methods until
it dawns on us that we can actually change what we do and how we think
and react.  Then we build our coalitions and start fostering an
environment which will support our preferred futures.

Just my $.02 worth.
Jaymee Keith
Ombudsman's Office
Washington State Dept. of Transportation
705-7438