Sales strategy

owen owen at tmn.com
Mon Dec 21 08:32:45 PST 1998

><snip>
>>>Harrison, just told us why he never sold any open space.  But at the same
>>>time he is a heck of a salesman.
>>>
>>>He told us the secret, which makes him hot  --  the customers wants an
>>>outcome and is usually unimpressed by the process.  But that is only
half of
>>>it  --  the customer wants an outcome that offers some benefit to
him/her !!
>>>Most do not willingly pay to be harmed in some way.
>>>
>>>And this is where Harrison the super star shines  --  he gets people to buy
>>>even though they don't know that it won't necessarily not harm them.  (how
>>>many negatives is that ??) Super.  I guess however there is some value
in OS
>>>providing customers with infomation of what might be harming their
>>>businesses but that has not surfaced or the customers have not yet
>>recognised.
>>>
>>>John Naisbett in the original Megatrends (1983) said words to the effect:
>>>"Even Ronald Reagan, both as B-movie cowboy and as President knew that it
>>>was easier to ride the horse in the direction it wants to go".  Knowing
that
>>>direction is probably of considerable value especially if you think you
want
>>>to go in another direction.  And it could just be that OS will do just
that
>>>for your would-be customers.
>>>
>>>I guess if I would offer any advice it would be to discern some desired
>>>beneficial outcomes and work on your 'open' manager in the vein of "well
>>>you'll find out what is your likelihood of success", as the horse is
bolting
>>>and carrying you with it.
>>>
>>>The list of 'promises' do not in themselves constitute beneficial outcomes,
>>>though their content might.  Here we are faced with the important
difference
>>>between 'form' (or framework) and 'content'.  They do not tell you what the
>>>real outcome will be and have very high potential to lead an organisation
>>>far from its managers' strategic intent.
>>>
>>>Taking one view that could be terrific because it might save the enterprise
>>>from disastrous mistakes, but the other side is also possible.  The
populist
>>>approach has been shown often to be completely incorrect.
>>>
>>>I share your concern with sales strategy
>>>
>>***********************************************************************
>>There is, as we all know, good news and bad news about Open Space. The good
>>news is that it works. The bad news is that it works. But sometimes (you
>>are quite right) the outcomes may not be quite what you expected (always)
>>or wanted (sometimes). But either way, I have never found them to be
>>non-useful, although in the moment some folks will have a very different
>>view. My favorite story along this line is about a client I once worked
> [...]
Good stuff! On the question of competency, there is little question that
neither Open Space, nor anything else I know of, will magically cure the
lack there off. As the old saying has it, you can never make a silk purse
out of a sow's ear. True. But also true is that perceived competencies
often limit the range of options. Experts, after all know by experience
what can and cannot be done -- and everything else is off limits. If it
then turns out that the mode of solution is also the source of the problem,
it is quite likely that we can't get there from here. Enter the non-expert
with the "dumb" question. Sometimes it is simply dumb, but in my
experieince the simple act of visiting old territory often turns up new
possibilities. What I love about Open Space is that there is room for all
sorts of dumb questions in addition to "expert opinion" After all, you were
there in OZ, and presumably something useful came out from you and all the
others.

But how do you promise that the answers will never harm the client? I guess
the truth is you can't. Not with Open Space, and not with any other
approach I know of. The sad truth of this life are that there are no
guarantees, at least in terms of methods and approaches. Sometimes they
work, and sometimes they don't -- and of course when "work" is a moving
target, everything gets a lot more interesting. From my point of view, the
method or approach is of infinitely less importance than the integrity and
presence of the consultant/facilitator. And here, it seems to me, is where
some real promises can be made. Promises to be present with integrity
through whatever is coming down. If this promise is accepted, trust is
established, and trust, it seems to me, is the coin of the realm. So when
it comes to selling Open Space, I don't. Open Space will take care of
itself. What is being sold is me -- although I don't really like the sounds
of those words, but I think they are true. I may offer a number of ways to
skin the cat, or only one way. And people will either trust me or not. In a
word, i think it is a lot more about being than doing anything -- including
Open Space.