Day 2 Bounce and some elementary matters.

Jay Vogt JayWV at aol.com
Wed Dec 16 07:05:25 PST 1998

Just a quick note since time is of the essence:

In a message dated 12/15/98 6:48:28 PM, jszostak at fox.nstn.ca wrote:

<<I am wondering if such a long gap will dilute the power of the second day

and we should seek to reschedule, or if this is not likely to pose a

problem?

YES, AND YET I HAVE HEARD THIS SAME CONCERN FROM OTHER TECHNICAL AUDIENCES,
THAT THEY WANT ADDITIONAL TIME TO GATHER INFORMATION SO THEIR TECHNICAL
CONVERSATIONS ARE VERY WELL INFORMED.
BOTTOM LINE: GO WITH WHAT YOU'VE GOT AS YOU'VE GOT IT.

The other areas I am unclear about are no doubt pretty elementary to OS

practitioners.

-Lunch break.  The 1.5 hr break the book proposes seems awfully long for a

one day meeting (which in effect is what this one seems to me because of the

gap) and where only one workshop period will have taken place by lunch.

Does it make sense to shorten it in a one day situation?  Are there any

other suggestions regarding incorporating this time, for instance if a group

wants to schedule a session?

SIMPLE. ELIMINATE THE LUNCH BREAK.  CREATE A LUNCH BUFFET THAT'S ANYTIME.
LET LUNCH BE A WORKING DISCUSSION ROUND.  THEY RARELY COMPLAIN IF THEY ARE
ENGAGED.

-Does the 3rd Principle mean that if someone has signed up to convene a

group at 2:00, but who is in a conversation or meeting. they don't want to

leave, they have no responsibility to show up at 2?

RESPONSIBILITY OF CONVENER TO SHOW, IN MY BOOK. OTHERWISE DON'T POST

-Does the Law of two Feet mean that people do not need to make a commitment

to participate for the day?

YES

-Does the facilitator play a role in resolution of scheduling conflict?  How

long is this part of the meeting likely to take?

NO. SETUP TAKES 30 TO 45 MINUTES FOR A GROUP OF FORTY

-And most elementary of all,  how do you speak from the centre of a circle

for an extended period of time when part of the participants always at your

back?

SPEAK TO A SECTION, TURN, SPEAK TO ANOTHER SECTION, TURN, ETC.

GOOD LUCK, JAY