Spontaneity and Improvisation

Birgitt Bolton birgitt at worldchat.com
Fri Apr 24 18:54:04 PDT 1998

Hi Viv,
I like the playful touch of your ponderings. For me, spontaneity is my
achillies heel (or one of them). Spontaneity has brought me the most joy I
have ever experienced. It has also brought me the most pain I have ever
experienced. Because it is such a big part of me, it also exists greatly in
my dealings with friends and colleagues in virtual space. So many times I
hit the "send" button and then wish I could take it back, wishing I had not
been spontaneous---alas, it is not possible. I then quickly pray to my
angels and ask them to take care of the message for me. If it isn't to find
its way, I hope it doesn't. And with that taken care of, I continue to
allow my spontaneity to flow, in most circumstances. Do I get equal joy and
equal pain in virtual space from my spontaneity. For sure. That then is
where improvisation kicks in---living like I do, it is necessary for my
survival, frequently :-)

I hope you get good discussion from putting this out.
Birgitt

----------
> From: Viv McWaters <viv at THEREEF.COM.AU>
> To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.IDBSU.EDU
> Subject: Spontaneity and Improvisation
> Date: April 23, 1998 10:30 PM
>
> Hello everyone
>
> I've been thinking about spontaneity and improvisation - two aspects of
my
> life I'm keen on developing (in myself and with others). We practice
> spontaneity and improvisation every day - even though we may not
recognise
> it. We have no idea when we wake up each morning what the day holds or
what
> conversations we may have. Yet many people are wary and declare they are
> not interested in improvisation in particular.
>
> (This interest has been reignited by forming an 'instant' playback
theatre
> troup at a professional development workshop last weekend. Only two of us
> had any experience of playback previously - yet the others learnt the
> techniques and willingly did a 'public' performance to close the
workshop.
> We had great fun, and learnt a lot about ourselves, especially about
> stretching those self-imposed boundaries we build for ourselves.)
>
> I've been aware that writing to a list like this one requires a far more
> measured and considered approach. Once something is committed to an
e-mail
> it's done, and there is a significant time lag if someone misinterprets
> what I say. It's a dialogue in slow motion I suppose, without the
> advantages of seeing someone's body language.
>
> I participate in three on-line discussion groups: Action Learning, Open
> Space and Hawkesbury Agriculture and Rural Development Post-Graduates.
I'm