"modified open space"

Robert R Lee rrlee at bizserve.com
Fri Apr 24 05:33:49 PDT 1998

Most of this has already been said by others but I'll add my 2 cents
anyway.  At OT15 (you were there, Brigitt) someone put up a session on
"structure....."  I was intrigued so I went.  He couldn't picture how
the Open Space format could work in a business setting, and wanted an
answer to this.  His title was cryptic and of the 8 or so that came to
his session, none had ever led an Open Space event or been to one in a
business setting.  I had recently been to the training and talked about
Day 3, and some of the stories I had heard from Harrison of his business
applications.  I believe the individual was unconvinced and I had the
impression that he left soon after.  Someone else in this session was
very angry over how the event was going and stated he was thinking of
leaving - I saw him later and he had gotten over it and was enjoying
himself.

It seems to me some will be turned off when Open Space is done in its
true spirit as well as when it is modified.  As Harrison would say,
"whatever happens, is the only thing that could have happened."

I applaud your effort to influence and reshape the lunchtime "Open
Space."  We should all do this when the opportunity presents itself.
But to try to control the use/description of an approach based on giving
up control feels like a contradiction to me.

As always, you keep this list alive for me, Bob
--
Bob Lee
EDGE Consulting, Inc.   explore . discover . generate . emerge