Fw: "modified Open Space"

Peggy Holman, Open Space Institute osi at tmn.com
Mon Apr 27 10:40:25 PDT 1998

It seems to be a quirk of human nature that form stays long after spirit has
departed.  I experienced that in my own reaction to the religious rituals of
my youth that held no meaning for me.  I believe it exists in the original
>intention of creating corporate charters centuries ago and what they have
come to mean today.  Indeed, in the de-humanization inside corporations --
as they lose their sense of purpose they decay often leaving the people
inside working in fear for a paycheck and little else.

Given the nature of Open Space, which is 99% about heart and meaning and 1%
form, it comes as no surprise to me that it is particularly sensitive to
"modification."

So, running into people who experienced something that was called Open Space
but not informed by spirit is likely to increase.  What does that imply for
those of us who are keepers of space? I, like others have stated, do not see
the answer in certification.  I believe Harrison made a wise choice by
leaving OS open for the taking.  It is a choice we have chosen to honor, for
to do otherwise would be to fly in the face of the spirit of OS.

So, what are our options when we meet people who have experienced something
so far from what we know is possible?  When this has happened to me, I have
gone back to the essence of what Open Space is about to me -- enabling
individuals and communities to remember what they hold dear and moving with
passion and responsibility to create what they want.

I wish I could say that this always worked.  Mostly it has.  I do believe
that we would be well served by exploring how to successfully respond when
faced with misconceptions.  I know it must be a response of love, grounded
in heart and spirit.  Beyond that, I would love to hear what others are
doing.

Peg Holman

P.S.  My apologies for inserting Chris' description of the 800 person OS in
the middle of this exchange.  I had been watching the messages on modified
OS stack up but had not had a chance to read them when I sent Chris' message
in.  In retrospect, I think it not only was a distraction from this
conversation, but didn't allow Chris' story to be experienced at its
fullest.