Question re: OS bias toward extroverts and activists

Larry Peterson lpasoc at inforamp.net
Thu Oct 16 06:09:59 PDT 1997

I have also heard this concern, and heard that it favours men over women,
the dominant group over the  sub-groups--no matter what the situation.

My experience, however, is usually just the opposite. If (and this is the
big if for those facilitating) the theme is clear and the parameters for
action are clearly stated by the sponsors--anyone who wants to pursue an
idea has the ability to  do so. I led one 550 person two day open space
where many of those who came for the first time spoke during the closing.
They had expected to come to this large meeting and have little to do or
say. They expected that the "old boys" who knew how to work the system would
do most of the talking and they the listening. In Open Space, it was just
the opposite. Their views were taken seriously, they could create the agenda
as they wished. Over the the full two day event, this help them build the
confidence to become active participants. In fact, after the event, the "old
boys" were quite angry they they had not dominated the conference and its
business like they were used to.

I think this kind of  comment comes more  from people used to "facilitating"
everyone's participation. Much of facilitation emphasises the facilitator
shaping the process to force inclusion. That's why the critique of
manipulation so often gets tied to process facilitation. Yes, people have to
take initiave in Open Space in order for things to happen, but that is how
it works. The initiave of the facilitator, in the long run, is not what
leads to action in a particular situation or organization.

I am an introvert on the MBTI and I love being in Open Space--I know many
others that do as well.

Larry