Question re: OS bias toward extroverts and activists

CaveOat at aol.com CaveOat at aol.com
Thu Oct 16 17:12:45 PDT 1997

I'm an introvert and I love OS because it is easy for me to convene a group
on the topic of my choice and run the group the way I want to. Sometimes I'll
run my small group using a talking piece or using dialogue guidlines.  I am
very sensitive to the issue he is talking about, but also believe in
Self-Responsibility.  I have to make room for my voice and in open Space
there is that opportunity. When I'm running a small group I often start by
informing people of my opinion that there are two ways of ruining the
group--by some people talking too much and others talking too little. I also
remind everyone to watch the periphery and make space for all the voices, and
mention the Quaker principle that noone speaks twice til everyone has spoken.

Metta, I know you were at the training in Santa Fe with Process Works, and
they combine Dialogue guidelines with the Open Space process.  I think it
works well. I've wondered about working it more into the Opening.

I like the question.

Kay Vogt