open space and introverts theme

Jeff Aitken jeffa at tmn.com
Sun Oct 19 17:50:49 PDT 1997

Madeline Bakker wrote:

The law of two feet is great when one wishes to leave and find something
more satisfying, but some have said that it is very disappointing to have
to do that, when what they would prefer is to have the discussion more
satisfying in the session! To be more directive to convenors goes against
the principles of OS, so I don't know how to get around this.

I have felt the same way, and I have begun to describe the law of two feet
a bit more generously than before. Now I tell people that the law says that
if you are not learning or contributing where you are, you can use your two
feet/wheels/etc. to go elsewhere; OR you can use your two feet to stand
where you are and figure out how to either learn or contribute there. I
might suggest letting your group know that you are neither learning or
contributing, and want their help to figure out what to do.

Jeff Aitken