OS in dark places

John Dicus jdicus at ourfuture.com
Tue Nov 25 11:55:19 PST 1997

This dialogue about OS in "dark places" holds my attention.  I have an
interest if furthering the conversation, yet I'm still waiting and wondering
what will emerge to contribute.  I thank those of you who have shared over
the last few days.

I would like to offer to this circle a poem that I hold dear.  It is by
Rainer Maria Rilke.  The poem figures prominently in my thoughts as I begin
writing a book (which will have to be fully born before it has a title I
suppose).  This past summer, my partner and I facilitated a one day Open
Space for a university.  Going in, they spoke as though they were further
along in the journey toward new ways of thinking and organizing than they
may have actually been.  In retrospect, that is an assumption that carries
certain consequences.  We also had been doing a lot of thinking about the
nature of living systems and stewardship.  Again in retrospect, we may have
taken the group to a deeper place then was appropriate.  Whether this is
true or it's a story we've developed to explain what happened, we'll
probably never know.

As the day grew to a close, there was a sense that there was anger and
resentment just under the surface on the part of some.  What makes it so
much more confusing is the concurrent sense that the day went wonderfully
well for most folks. The CEO was troubled.  I believe part of his
troubledness stemmed from finding out that the organization was not the
happy family he thought it was at that point in time.  So I still live in
the question of how much stuff was carried in the door and how much I/we
contributed to.  Oh for more time with the group to explore that.  I
certainly agree that shining light into openings such as the one we helped
create is important and compelling work.  There's also the lingering hope
that someone will say "nice job" and want you back.  Not that day.  At least
that's my feeling.  Who knows what will eventually sprout from the seeds of
change and hope.  I still have many questions.

As we went out for supper that night, Barb and I were floundering in "what
did we do wrong," or "did we do anything wrong."  We knew that the group had
a hostile element and that did not feel good to us.  We knew we were all
co-responsible for the day -- no blame.  At that moment Rilke's poem came
into my heart-mind and I asked Barb if she remembered it.  I quoted a few
lines from it and she looked into my eyes with tears.  We both knew in that
way that resides out beyond words, that perhaps this was one of those times
Rilke had planned for.  His poem was ready to heal.

And so I offer it to this circle.  You can carry the winds and the open spaces.

John

 ---

O you lovers that are so gentle,
     step occasionally into the breath
     of the sufferers not meant for you,

     let it be parted by your cheeks,
     it will tremble, joined again, behind you.

You have been chosen,
     you are sound and whole,
     you are like the very first beat of the heart,

     you are the bow that shoots the arrows,
     and also their target,

     in tears your smile would glow forever.

Do not be afraid to suffer,
     give the heaviness back
     to the weight of the earth;

     mountains are heavy,
     seas are heavy.

Even the trees you planted as children
     became too heavy long ago --

     you couldn't carry them now.

     But you can carry the winds...
     and the open spaces...

           (Rainer Maria Rilke)

John Dicus  |  cca at ourfuture.com
Cornerstone Consulting Associates  |  http://www.ourfuture.com
Growing Learning Communities Through Whole-System Experiences
Consulting  |  Facilitation  |  Workshops  |  Seminars  |  Speaking
2761 Stiegler Road, Valley City OH  44280
800-773-8017  |  330-725-2728  (fax)
** Experiences in Stewardship V -- April '98 **