a challenging short open space

Birgitt Bolton birgitt at worldchat.com
Wed Nov 19 11:26:01 PST 1997

Well Matthias had done a wonderful story about centredness and
connectedness to do with a large open space he did recently and there were
of us experience ---ooo, ahhhh.

So, I thought I'd do a quick story about my reality a day before a very
challenging short open space.Sweaty palms, heart accelerating, stomach
churning. Wondering how I always manage to get myself into such "pickles".
Yes, its true, I accepted the contract, and I knew that many of the ideal
ingredients for Open Space were not there. And so here I am in my dilemma.
Will I be centred and connected by tomorrow ---I sure hope so----but it
seems far from my present reality. Any of you who might be inclined to send
strengthening energy to me, please do so. Time of start is 8am EST.

Now, I confess that I am not fond of our Provincial Government. That is an
understatement. We have been badly hit with cuts in services, jobs, values
at their hands. There is a lot of angry backlash now (thank goodness that
people are moving out of victim behaviour and seizing a bit of power
again). So, we are in a period of strikes and picketting and citizens
marching to their Member of Parliament offices in defiance of a serious
piece of legislation that the government is pushing through legislature
this week. They are a majority government which means they can do this but
it is a clear indication that our democracy isn't a democracy when the
voice of the people isn't listened  to.

So, how did I end up in a position of doing a one day (actually only six
hour) Open Space for one of the branches (Ministries) of that government?
Off I head today, through picket lines and such, to look at the room I'll
be opening space in tomorrow for about 120 invited citizens to launch a
good news, good neighbours program. The folks who have hired me know they
are taking a big risk. The meeting is truly to explore issues and
opportunities of the program. The challenge is to ensure that the whole
thing doesn't turn into an angry "government bashing" scene that is out of
control. So, I have been told.How does one get such anger to be an issue
posted on the agenda wall? I will surely find out tomorrow.

Okay, so here is my conscience again --I am actually helping this
government look good through the use of Open Space. Me, the former social
advocate with ancestors strongly committed to social  justice surely
turning over in their graves. Or is this really about going in and using
Open Space for all that it has to give. Maybe, just maybe, the event will
go well and the issues will get up there and real discussion will happen,
and the government just might be impressed enough by this little trial
balloon they are doing through me, to actually host more Open Space
meetings and actually create the settings for the voice of the people to be
heard again ---if it can be heard in a non-threatening way. Maybe, just
maybe, Open Space will help to bring a better way to this whole mess.
Anyhow, one Open Space at a time. For me, I know I am afraid today, and I
am wrestling with my conscience today, but tomorrow I will surrender and
let it all happen. Whatever happens is the only thing....

Birgitt
P.S. What keeps coming to mind whenever I try to meditate is the feeding of
live crickets to my son's lizard. I don't know why this is the scene evoked
when I think of tomorrow :-)